In general, one of the things that children like to do the most is to run outside, climb trees and jump with their friends. While it is true that accidents can sometimes occur, they do not stop doing it for that reason.
In fact, some, when they grow up, decide to practice extreme sports at a professional level. Many of which, most people, would not dare to do. Those who practice this kind of sports are considered reckless. They have a bold character and are not afraid of challenges.
Do you fit within this definition? If so, surely the reason why you are reading this article is to inform you about the new challenge you have set for yourself: doing parkour.
Parkour is nothing more than a series of exercises that are carried out in an environment that can be urban, but also natural. The objective of those who perform them is to rely on any of their motor skills to move, doing it safely, quickly and efficiently.
It is likely that, while walking through the streets, you have seen a group of young people doing a lot of maneuvers that could seem circus and even dangerous. However, each of them has a different technique that you will surely want to learn.
Through this article we will be explaining what parkour is, what its origin and philosophy are, what are the basic movements that every beginner should know, what benefits it brings to the body and what precautions you should take into account when practicing it.
In a few words, you will have access to everything you need to know about these exercises, which are performed without ever having to step foot in a gym or, at least, a traditional one. Let’s see what parkour is all about, a movement that has revolutionized young people.
Instructions for doing Parkour
For some, parkour is an art and is carried out by moving from one point to another with great ease using only the skills of the body. It is practiced overcoming the different obstacles that may be on a route. Some of these can be: walls, trees, rocks, houses, rivers, etc.
It is also considered a transformative practice, which seeks personal improvement at the different levels of those who practice it. It favors the development of qualities such as resilience, courage, mental strength, adaptability and teamwork.
It had its origin in France, at the hands of David Belle, who was inspired by the natural method of Georges Hébert, a French naval officer, which follows the basic principle that it is possible to train man by exercising him with the movements he knows. do when certain situations arise.
But where to start? The first thing you have to do is investigate a little about its origin, its philosophy and the objectives it pursues. By doing this, you will be more motivated to learn his technique and put it into practice as soon as possible.
Then get familiar with their movements. Some of them are:
- The fence passer: this movement is performed by supporting one hand on the obstacle in front of you, which you have to avoid with a quick jump. You can also do it using both hands.
- The cat: it is done by placing both hands on the obstacle and then passing the legs between them.
- Break-dolls: it is a movement similar to that of the cat, but in reverse. In this opportunity, you spend your legs stretched out first and then support your hands.
- Reverse: the purpose is to avoid an obstacle, with one or both hands, by jumping over it while turning and the body is in the opposite direction to the starting direction.
- Precision Jump – Your goal is to jump from one narrower point to another, such as from the top of one wall to another. Keep in mind that when there are different heights involved, it is known as slack.
- Arm jump: used to climb and involves jumping and then grabbing the top of the obstacle, which can be a wall. Also, after a jump, it is important that you know the correct way to land, in order to avoid injury. Some of the ways to fall are as follows:
- Basic reception: seeks to distribute the blow of the impact on the body. The knees should be partially bent, the back leaning forward, without allowing the heels to hit the ground.
- Rotation: The position is similar to that of the basic reception. However, the body must be turned using the shoulder blade as a support point. This landing is very useful when it is not possible to control the basic due to the speed or the height of the jump.
- With your arms: you must use your legs to serve as a brake after having jumped with your arm. In this way, you will avoid hitting the obstacle. If you also keep them flexed, they will help you start climbing.
If you jump off a branch, you should let your body swing.
Since you already know the basic technique for parkour, you probably want to know what you need to practice it.
What do you need to do Parkour?
Among the things you will need are:
- Comfortable clothes: you can opt for sweatpants or shorts, so you can move your legs and open them as much as necessary.
- Appropriate footwear: Look for shoes that are full soles and have no gaps in them. You can also wear running shoes.
- Enough money to buy the water and food needed for a long day.
- Keep the environment where you practice clean. Throw the garbage in the containers, do not leave any object lying around that could harm others, etc.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Since parkour takes place mostly outdoors, there is often a flow of people. In order to avoid accidents, when bumping into someone, be careful and make sure that no one is around when you are going to make a quick move.
- Finally, you need to have enough desire. Naturally, any sport or exercise requires a lot of practice. Therefore, turn every obstacle you come across on the road into an opportunity to test your skills.
Knowing this, you can already search and locate groups of practitioners that you can meet. They are usually kind people who like to help. But, what recommendations should you take into account when doing parkour?
Tips for doing Parkour
If you want to get started in the world of parkour, it is important that you take into consideration some recommendations before you take the first step. By following these tips, you will be able to exercise calmly, because you will have minimized the risk of suffering injuries and accidents.
- The warm-up: reserve a space of time to warm up. This way you will be prepared to jump obstacles on the way, which require the use of a greater intensity. After you have finished your day’s work, relax your muscles to calm them down again and thus avoid injuring yourself.
- Food: this is a very important aspect. You should eliminate foods that are high in calories and fat. At the same time, increase the amount of protein, unprocessed foods, fruits and vegetables. Don’t forget to stay well hydrated. It’s fundamental.
- Clothing and footwear: choose the clothes you are going to wear very carefully. Wear comfortable clothes that give you the opportunity to make wide enough movements. Short clothing is generally not the best option, as the chances of falling, burning and injury are much greater. On the other hand, footwear is very important, since the good grip on the ground, the fixation of the ankles, as well as the cushioning of falls depend on it. For this reason, some of the practitioners of this activity choose to use climbing shoes, because they have a great capacity to adhere, are very light and have great resistance.
- He knows the terrain well. Having knowledge of the space where you are going to practice helps to avoid unwanted surprises, such as uneven terrain, holes, crevices, etc.
- Be aware of your limits. Observe how your body reacts to the practice of this activity and learn to know when it is necessary to stop. It is not only about physical fatigue, it is also related to hunger and thirst.
Do not forget to carry a mobile phone, although you must be careful to carry it well secured to prevent it from falling and breaking. It is always useful in case of an accident. For example, if a colleague falls, you can call the emergency number to be attended to in time.
You can also bring an energy bar. These are very helpful when you are very tired or to avoid low blood sugar and even fainting, which can be very dangerous, especially when they happen in certain places.
- It works all the muscles of the body, which means having a toned body.
- It makes it easier to have a flat and strong stomach. In addition, it reduces the chances of suffering injuries at the lumbar level.
- Increases cardiovascular endurance and muscular power, improving physical condition.
- It promotes fat burning, therefore, it helps to lose weight.
- Develops motor skills.
- Contributes to balance.
- Increases muscle coordination.
- Promotes spatial perception.
- Improves the ability to respond to risk situations, etc.
Contrary to what it might seem, parkour is a very beneficial activity. However, to be successful when practicing it, it is important that you take into consideration the advice that we have shared with you. Only then, you will be able to fully enjoy this sport.